EASY TURKEY MEATBALLS
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk, we use reduced fat
1 large egg
1 1/2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, coarsely grated (generous 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves and tender stems, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground turkey (93% lean)
TOMATO BASIL SAUCE
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 large basil sprig plus handful of torn basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once warm, add the garlic, and red pepper flakes to cook for 30s – 1 min.
- Stir in the tomato paste, simmer and stir regularly until the colour turns from bright red to orange (approx. 2min)
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, add a pinch of salt, and top with the basil, then bring to a simmer.
- Stir breadcrumbs and milk into a large bowl and let sit for 5min.
- Add the egg, cheese, parsley, oregano and salt, then stir well until blended.
- Add the ground turkey and mix to combine (use a fork or your fingers)
- Wet your hands, then form mixture into 1-inch meatballs (approx. 24)
- Put meatballs into the sauce, cover the pan and cook for 20mins. Stir gently and cook for another 5-10mins, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Scatter basil and extra sauce over the meatballs to serve.
NSS NOTE 1: These work fantastically with pre-pared meals. Simply arrange uncooked meatballs on a baking sheet or in a firm air-tight shut container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can do the same with the sauce which will last up to 3 days.
àThese can even be frozen the same way to keep for longer, up to 1 month for the meatballs and 3 months for the sauce.
NSS NOTE 2:Store the left-over meatballs for up to 1 week in a food-safe container. Simply take out when needed, reheat in the microwave and serve.